Mazda 2 Revolution Forums banner

Brake problem on Mazda 2?

88K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  SirSidewaystheThird 
#1 ·
I bought a new 2011 Mazda 2. I have almost 10,000 miles on it now.

At about 2500 miles it started developing vibrations during braking from between 40-30 MPH. I took it in and they turned the rotors and put on new pads and the problem went away. Now it is doing it again.

I asked what would cause this on a car with less than 2500 miles on it and they said "driving habits". I am a very careful driver and I baby my cars.

Googling turns up nothing on this. Is anyone else having this problem?

Steve

#3 ·
Almost 16k miles and no issues. What I call typical driving and in enough water on the roads that my tranction control has blinked several times. I haven't buried the wheels in any deep puddles. Could be anything from driving habits to a bad set of rotors but it does seem very odd.

#8 ·
Break Problems

First of all let me say I love the car but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one out there with the problem. The dealer had me almost convinced I was the only one in the entire US. 28K miles and I'm on the 4th set of breaks. It has been just as regular as the oil changes about every 5k and the rotors have warped. They are pulling it down to the hubs and beyond replacing everything and shipping the parts to Mazda's research people to see why this keeps happening. I have NEVER had this happen in all the years I have been driving in ANY car. Stay on top of it!

#10 ·
It's actually really hard to warp rotors. If they are actually warped, you shou;d feel a pulse, more than a vibration.

Vibrations can be caused by a lot of things. Loose brake parts, loose steering connection, loose suspension or bearings. Check them all first.
sorry its very easy have done it several times .hard breaking coming down the mountain and they are tioast also if you planted the e-brake to hard when brakes were hot they would warp also..its documented fact rotors warp period...i have purchased many new cars and all the GM vehicles rotors warped within 2 months had GM turn them just to have it happen again.its called cheap rotors..the big 3 used thinner rotors than in the past and i had to buy after market rotors to stop the problem..

#12 ·
Brake vibration

I have a 2011 that I bought in Feb 11, and I started driving it for work everyday making deliveries. I have the driven the crap out of it and had no issues except the brakes started vibrating about a month ago. I took it to the Mazda delaer I bought it from and they said they looked ok and had 70% left on the pads and the rotors looked ok too. But I dont think they road tested it. Its worse now a month later. I guess I'll have to get somebody else to look at it. I want new pads anyway. but I'll bet the rotors are warped. I have 47000 :eek: miles on it already! I drive about 2000 miles a week. Good car, but I wish it got a little better mileage and a hair bigger gas tank.

#13 ·
I'm sitting at 17k, 2011 Mazda 2 bought in October 2010 and have the same vibration issue. It started pretty much right away. It's annoying because it happens when I try to smooth brake. If I brake with a little more pressure than is typically comfortable, there are no vibrations. Its been a long time since I've had a car with drum brakes and thought that might be it. Laziness has stopped me from going in to the dealership. It's definitley a manufacturer issue.

My sisters 2007 Nissan Sentra had the same issue. They had a recall for the brake reservoir I believe.

#14 ·
First of all let me say I love the car but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one out there with the problem. The dealer had me almost convinced I was the only one in the entire US. 28K miles and I'm on the 4th set of breaks. It has been just as regular as the oil changes about every 5k and the rotors have warped. They are pulling it down to the hubs and beyond replacing everything and shipping the parts to Mazda's research people to see why this keeps happening. I have NEVER had this happen in all the years I have been driving in ANY car. Stay on top of it!
Hi M2Driver! Glad to hear I'm not alone. I also found this article here describing the problem:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/living-with-it/mazda2-16d-sport/apr---that-aint-right/

Looks like this may be a common problem.

I consider myself a good driver (hah, who doesn't) and I am mechanically inclined and have worked extensively on cars (replacing engines) and have a "feel" for things mechanical. I tend to "baby" my cars, for example when I stop I do not come to an abrupt "bouncing" stop but rather feather the break as I come to a stop. I have not driven the car through any puddles. I am the only driver of the car.

The car did this at 2500 miles and I took it back and had the rotors turned, it started again at around 9000 miles and now has about 12,000 miles and I am just now scheduling an appointment to have it looked at again.

Steve

#16 ·
I have the same problem with my 2011 Mazda 2. After 17,000 miles it developed vibration during braking due to either warped discs, or more likely due to brake pad deposits on the discs. I put new discs and the problem was solved. Now after one year (about 18,000 miles) the problem came back. It seems that either the Mazada 2 front disc brakes are very sensitive to warpage or running very hot and brake pad material deposits on the discs.

#17 ·
Wow. I came here looking to see if other people have the same problem and bingo. Got my red Mazda back in Sep 2011 and after 4000 miles started feeling the pulsating brake. Never driven the **** thing in the mountains or rain. Drivin junkers most of my life I'm no stranger to warped rotors but on my first new car with 4k on it. Come on. I just ignored it and now it's getting worse with 11k and yesterday my brake pad warning light went on. Called dealer and they said they have many new Mazda 2 coming in with warped rotors under 10k miles. They cover it under warranty even though brakes are not covered. Dropping the car off on Monday. Bummer.

#19 ·
Squeaky brake drama

My mazda dealer told me that the squeaking brakes were caused by the "composition of the brake pads". At 6k miles they charged me for an inspection and some grease that didn't work to stop the squeaking. I continued to drive until about 8k miles and took it back in and they sanded the rotors for free. That fix lasted about 72 hours. I continued, again, to drive on embarrassingly squeaky brakes until about 15k miles until I had enough money to have the pads and rotors completely replaced. I'm now at 28k miles and they're squeaking up a storm yet again. I bought this car brand new and I've already replaced the brakes, trans fluid, 1 tire, and had to do a fuel injection service. My Honda Civic had 1 new set of brakes put on at the 50k mark and I sold it at 90k miles so needless to say I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of this Mazda compared to other vehicles I've owned. I guess you get what you pay for. We're planning to trade it in next weekend before the squeaking gets too bad.

#20 ·
I have the same problem. Bought the car with 29k and didn't notice while test driving. Was thinking, "29k the brakes should still be butter!" Turns out after driving on the freeway I started to feel vibrations and I was like wtf warped rotors? I was really surprised. Glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I think Mazda just put some cheap rotors on that car. Honestly you have to slam on your brakes constantly to warp them and it's not easy to warp rotors. Having 100hp and 99lb of torque doesn't make sense to me to warp the rotors on this car. My other car is a Mazdaspeed 3 and I brake hard on that **** sometimes and I've never warped my rotors. Just some cheap rotors on the Mazda 2 IMO

#22 ·
Both of my kids 2012 Mazda2's needed bake pads and rotors around 30k miles. Picked up aftermarket rotors and pads on partsgeek.com $70.00 for a pair of Centric Brake Rotors and $30.00 for pads... so about $100.00 per car... and changing the rotors and pads on a Mazda2 only takes about 90 minutes... Really not that big of a deal.

#25 ·
So I've just about paid off my Mazda2. Coming up on end of warranty. I've had the brake turning done twice, and have just given up on it. I got the vibration back again within 7000 miles of the last turn, just like the first time.

I have considered replacing the rotors. Have the new rotors from Partsgeek fixed your problem? Which rotors and pads did you get?

Thanks,

Steve

#24 ·
Hi I bought a new mazda2 venture sport in june 2014, in November I took my car into dealership as I had the same problem as you, I was told it was a manufacturing fault by one person and it was insinuated it was my braking habit by another, the brake discs were skimmed, it seemed ok for a while, however last month it started again, the car shuddering on braking through brake pedal and steering wheel. I booked it in for today, I asked if they would replace the discs and was told they would be skimmed if warped but there must be another problem if they were warped again and that they would need mazda authorisation to replace them, I said that wasn't a problem and I would contact mazda myself. however when I picked my car up they told me they had put new discs on. and that the car was no longer juddering. I have decided not to drive my car now for a few months and have swapped with my husband to see if the problem occurs with a different driver as they try to insinuate it is my driving, I have 5000mile on to date. My journey to work is a straight run with 1 rounderbout so not much braking!! and a 30mile round trip.
Hope this helps.

#29 ·
Good to hear I'm not the only one with that problem, mine's a completely factory 2010 model, had it a few months and I occasionally need a bit of heavy braking, thats why I thought my brakes vibrate going through around 60kph but by the sounds of it, they will do it easily! Was just going to ask them to have a look when I next take it for a service probably need some quality brake rotors/pads

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.