post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Nicx1st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mazda 2 Engine Swap?!

Hey guys,
My name is Nick.
I need some advice on my Mazda 2 Engine Swap...
Is it better to do an engine swap with the Mazda Speed 3 Turbo engine?
I love speed and power but I just want to know is it going to be a hard swap or easy drop in swap with minor troubles getting it bolted in?
Please I need help... I'm having a hard time finding information for this swap build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 PM
yanbros

Hi, newbie here. I have a 2006 Mazda 2 DY 1.5(A) also looking for an engine swap. Any info provided would be greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
SirSidewaystheThird

It is possible, Mazda built a concept 2 in 2011 that had the 2.3 MZR from the Speed3 (albeit with DI, but size shouldn't be significantly affected by that). However, that's not a common swap, to my knowledge it's never been done outside of that concept. Therefore, it will be very expensive, since all the mounting hardware, exhaust and probably intake will have to be custom made. You'll also need to find space for an intercooler (probably need a higher hood with a scoop to accommodate that), and a larger radiator in addition to the engine. The stock transmission and differential won't hold up to the extra torque, so you'll have to stuff an MS3 (or other, more robust aftermarket) clutch/transmission/diff combo in. To handle the additional power and weight, you'll want wider, gripper tires, and probably some stiffer springs and dampers. If you're doing anything more than highway pulls and tooling around town you'll want some good brakes, probably something bigger than stock.

If I walked into a shop and asked for it to be done, I'd be expecting it to cost 20k AT LEAST (25-30k with the suspension, tires and brakes). And it wouldn't be reliable, either. Swapped engines don't go through the thousands of hours of testing that the originals do, and little things like wires or hoses rubbing through and other annoying little problems happen all the time. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be an awesome swap, but you'd have to be very dedicated, willing to dump money, and it probably shouldn't be your only car for it to not become a major PITA. If you meet those requirements and decide to go through with it, please post a build thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Upandrunning

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From what I read its not worth it. You better have really deep pockets. If you want a larger engine then find a 3.. the 2 is what it is and to try and make it otherwise is not worth it.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Sanjay Koolkid Green

its possible even a regular lf or l3 would be crazy in a demio , i plan to do a k24 swap in my dy in the future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 2 Forum : Mazda 2 Revolution Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page