Mazda 2 Revolution Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys.

have any of you come across this issue.
my mothers car developed a very rough idle, engine shaking issue. Car is a 2013 Mazda2 DE with 50,000km on it. Always serviced and looked after etc.

Basically after the car warms up but not reach super hot temp (eg 95-100 Celsius coolant temp), when the car is stopped and in D with the brake applied, the engine idles very very rough, shakes, almost if its misfiring. if you put it in N/P the rough idle is still there but not as bad or noticeable.

putting air con on, sort of alleviates the problem. however when the car is full hot, where the radiator fans come on, then the rough idling seems to be gone. The car idles roughly 650-700rpm in N/P and around 550rpm when in D

i've checked the spark plugs, ignition coils, and the egr using the resistance values, as specified in the mazda workshop manual and they seem to be ok. I'm thinking of changing the spark plugs, but before i do that i thought i would ask here.
I've done a fault code scan using a generic scan tool (torque) and no fault codes found either.

any ideas? anyone else had the same issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
doing few more tests, especially when this rough idle/engine shaking happens if i unplug the EGR valve the shaking stops.
So it looks like it could be the EGR valve.
anyway has anyone else had to replace theirs or had issues with it before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
replaced egr valve.... initially through the issue was resolved, but still there...however it does seem not as bad.....but that could be placebo effect.
i've also been using 98 RON petrol for the past 2 tank fulls.
anyway have dropped it off at a mazda dealer to see if they can find anything out. however after using the scan tool FORScan I cant see anything thats not working out of place.
maybe the ECU/PCM needs a update.?.. well wait and see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dealers... i really dont have faith in them...just like i assumed they didnt find anything...but wait they said the drivers front side engine mount is no good and causing engine shaking...lol..how pathetic. oh well looks like its time to take mazda to court....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the idle speed correct and in spec? Turning on the AC causes the engine PCM to increase engine rpm to compensate for the increased load.

Does the throttle body need cleaning? If it gets crudded up where the throttle plates close, that can cause rough idle.

Did you get a chance to look at that motor mount? If the rubber is split or seperated from the steel mounting bracket, the engine can move around.

My 2014 2 DE runs smooth so far, has 64K miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah from what i can see the engine mount looks ok, however mazda has come to the party and will replace it free of charge.
the throttle body looks very clean .

yeah the idle speed is correct and within spec.. but yeah its very weird half the time the engine will idle rough and the other time it wont.
i'm thinking it must be either ecu/pcm related or maybe something fuel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same issues sometimes when is very hot...But i still havent' found a solution. When it will be time to change the coolant, i will try to change coolant temperature sensor...because it does only with an hot engine. Other thing to check is the maf sensor, try to clean it maybe, it helps...doesn't solve but helps.
Monday I will change passenger engine mount, because it's moving. It's not destroyed but it allows movement by hand...and visually it seems ok, but it isn't, this is known to fail. My mazda 2 de 2013 has 91.000km.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vey similar issue on mine, local mechanic after a month reckons its a sticky valve.

How are you guys getting on? any success or progress?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts