Mazda 2 Revolution Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SEMA is almost here and the most exciting thing to happen to the Mazda2 is nearing, can't wait to see the turbocharged Mazda2!

When Ford and Mazda shared a few bits and pieces to develop the current Fiesta and Mazda2 global cars, many expected the Japanese variant to be the clear winner as the sportiest of the two – an expectation arguably dashed by the meager power output of the Mazda2′s smaller 1.5-liter, 100 horsepower engine.

Mazda USA is about to address that, according to our well placed and official sources, thanks to a certain turbocharged example of the car that we hear is destined to debut in two weeks at SEMA.

Details and specifications, as well as full confirmation on whether or not this model will soon be available as a factory-built model (Mazdaspeed2 anyone?), or just be another show car are not yet available.

In terms of what should be expected, some aftermarket companies have been squeezing 150 to 160 horsepower out of the latest-gen Mazda2 with the addition of a turbocharger, intercooler and other modifications, but a factory-tuned turbocharger would likely boast something close to 140 horsepower due to fuel economy, emissions and longevity concerns.

Given the sources and level of excitement about the car, however, we would be more inclined to expect the car to preview a production car, or at the very least a dealer-installed kit rather than just being a one-off show car.

Stay tuned as we dig for more details.
source; http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazda-mazdaspeed2.html

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
153 Posts
Please Mazda, bring us the MazdaSpeed2!! It would open up a new market for Mazda. Sub compact sport! Can't go wrong with that.

Not sure what others think here, feel free to give me your 0.02 but with the direction this is heading being a factory built Mazda2 Turbo, i think it's very likely we will see a MazdaSpeed2 one day soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree. I'm a Mazda fan and I have interest in the 2 but a turbo 2 would be killer. Even if it has smaller hp than the MINI S and 500 Abarath (coming 2012) the power the weight should be similar if not better and it will be fast little bugger. And we all know Mazda can make a sports car. It would bring a much needed boost in sales and publicity of the 2 in the U.S. I've seen a few now on the road but its between far and few.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree. I'm a Mazda fan and I have interest in the 2 but a turbo 2 would be killer. Even if it has smaller hp than the MINI S and 500 Abarath (coming 2012) the power the weight should be similar if not better and it will be fast little bugger. And we all know Mazda can make a sports car. It would bring a much needed boost in sales and publicity of the 2 in the U.S. I've seen a few now on the road but its between far and few.
Mazda Turbo2 = Defiant killer!

I agree, the power to weight ratio of the Turbo Mazda2 would be the same or nearly the same as the Mini Cooper S and/or Fiat 500 Abarth.

Just imagine how well a Mazda2 Turbo can perform with a properly tuned suspension, gutted interior, CF where possible... hood & hatch.

I think it would be a really serious competitor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed. The main issue would be keeping the price sub $17,000 U.S.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the MazdaSpeed2 gets made, I have a feeling it might give the Scion FR-S a run for it's money!

The Mazda2 basemodel is amazing as is, just picture what a MazdaSpeed2 will be like.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mazda Turbo2 = Defiant killer!

I agree, the power to weight ratio of the Turbo Mazda2 would be the same or nearly the same as the Mini Cooper S and/or Fiat 500 Abarth.

Just imagine how well a Mazda2 Turbo can perform with a properly tuned suspension, gutted interior, CF where possible... hood & hatch.

I think it would be a really serious competitor.
what the **** is a defiant killer? are you sure you dont mean giant killer....... power to weight ratio might be the same but it will still have a hard time on longer, faster tracks. something like a mazdaspeed 2 is more at home on an autox course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts