Mazda 2 Forum : Mazda 2 Revolution Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“As gas prices rise, using public transportation is the quickest way people can beat high gasoline prices,” states William Millar, president American Public Transportation Association (APTA).

As uncertainty in other parts of the world persists, and Americans continue to suffer economic woes, making the change to public transit today gives individuals the opportunity to lower their transportation costs, without sacrificing their freedom and mobility. Switching from driving to riding public transportation for even a few of their trips is a proven way for individuals to cut monthly and yearly transportation costs.

The national average for a monthly unreserved parking space in a downtown business district is $161.56, according to the 2010 Colliers International Parking Rate Study. Over the course of a year, parking costs for a vehicle can amount to an average of $1,939.

With all that being said, its expensive to drive your own car, and even car pool at that sometimes. So maybe we should all just stick to public transportation? As also these are said to be the highest numbers in the last 2 years.Would you guys rather take public Transportation?

A chart is post in there website.
Rapidly Rising Gas Prices Give Public Transit Riders Highest Savings in Two Years

·
Registered
26 Posts
Using public transportation is relative. One, it depends if your area has a good public transportation system. Being originally from the Northeast, I would rather take public transportation than have a car, due to everything your articale states, in terms of parking, easy of use, etc. This is because cities such as Boston, New York, Washington, San Francisco, etc, have good to excellent public transportation systems.

I now live in Phoenix, where the public transporation system is poor, parking is cheap (free) and depending on what you drive (Mazda 2 getting 36 mpg avg), I would definately rather drive.

Also there is the matter of convience, as it takes up to 2 hours to go 20 miles to work in Phoenix using public transportation, where as it only takes me 30 minutes to go 20 miles to work by car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live up in Canada Toronto.

The transportation compared to palces ive been to is completly garbage, parking is expensive, and busses never run on time, and the system is split into 2 so if you ever had to, you would have to pay 2 diffrent fairs once going onto a diffrent systeme.The best public transportation i have ever experience is Hong Kong everything is on time, and buss fair is cheap, everything is clean and they have 100000000000 buses.

Best solution for me.. car pooling..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oil prices will always rise!

Just keep on the public transportation. It'll helps the the carbon blueprint we leave behind decrease. Also why drive when you dont need to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts