Mazda 2 Forum : Mazda 2 Revolution Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I returned home last night after spending the last week at Road America for the SCCA National Championship Runoffs. My official purpose was to run 2 cars in Spec Miata. We finished 3rd and 8th in an ultra competitive field.

Unofficially I was promoting the Mazda 2 as a racecar. And promote we did. SCCA sponsored a tent specificly for the new B-Spec racers. Since I was paddocked accross the street, I kept the Alien with me.

6 other B-specs where there; The factory owned Mazda 2 that raced at Thunderhill last December, a Toyota Yaris, A ford owned Fiesta, a factory Fiat 500, a MINI with stickers (but otherwise unmodified) and a street Chevy Sonic. Also committed to the series are Kia and maybe Nissan.

For club racing, the B-Spec cars will be raced in Showroom Stock C (SSC) for 2012 before getting a class of their own in 2013. There are 2 pro series in development at this time. Nothing announced, but both seem likely.

The B-specs had a lunch time demonstration run on Friday and Saturday. We where told to mix it up and put on little show, so I did. Winning our non competitive race. On Sunday one of my Miata drivers took the wheel and loved the idea.

Advanced Autosports has been invited to the SCCA test session at Grattan Raceway in Michigan next month.

We will be debuting the Alien in race trim at Blackhawk Farms on October 8-9 for the SCCA Regional race.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is exciting. I just got rid of my 2003 MINI Cooper S and replaced it with my Mazda 2, so I am eagerly awaiting next year's SCCA season.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I returned home last night after spending the last week at Road America for the SCCA National Championship Runoffs. My official purpose was to run 2 cars in Spec Miata. We finished 3rd and 8th in an ultra competitive field.

Unofficially I was promoting the Mazda 2 as a racecar. And promote we did. SCCA sponsored a tent specificly for the new B-Spec racers. Since I was paddocked accross the street, I kept the Alien with me.

6 other B-specs where there; The factory owned Mazda 2 that raced at Thunderhill last December, a Toyota Yaris, A ford owned Fiesta, a factory Fiat 500, a MINI with stickers (but otherwise unmodified) and a street Chevy Sonic. Also committed to the series are Kia and maybe Nissan.

For club racing, the B-Spec cars will be raced in Showroom Stock C (SSC) for 2012 before getting a class of their own in 2013. There are 2 pro series in development at this time. Nothing announced, but both seem likely.

The B-specs had a lunch time demonstration run on Friday and Saturday. We where told to mix it up and put on little show, so I did. Winning our non competitive race. On Sunday one of my Miata drivers took the wheel and loved the idea.

Advanced Autosports has been invited to the SCCA test session at Grattan Raceway in Michigan next month.

We will be debuting the Alien in race trim at Blackhawk Farms on October 8-9 for the SCCA Regional race.

Dave

When you say the factory owned Mazda 2 B-spec racer, do you mean the heavily modified one that was featured in nearly all the popular car mag's and online blogs?? If it is, im jealous, would love to see that thing in person.

Any pic's from these SCCA events?

Thanks for the interesting read!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If by heavily modified, you mean springs, shocks, cage, tires and wheels. Then yes that is the car.

As a follow up, we had the Allien at the American Road Race of Champions at Road Atlanta last week end. We won the first official B-Spec race that SCCA has sanctioned. Admitedly, we where the only clar in class, but we ran every lap of every session and everybody loved the car.

Just before dusk on Saturday nite some of my Texas friends borrowed the car for a "test drive" and loved it. Grassroots motorsports magazine has some pix on their forum. I have several hundred pix from the weekend to sift through. Once I find the best ones, I will get them posted.

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts